In the timeless city of Baltese, ten-year-old Peter Augustus Duchene is on his way to the market to purchase a meager meal for himself and his guardian, Vilna Lutz, when he is sidetracked by a sign advertised by a fortune teller.
The most profound and difficult questions that could possibly be posed by the human mind or heart will be answered within for the price of one florit.
He makes a decision to ask her how to find his sister. The fortune teller tells him to follow the elephant. With that inexplicable answer the magical journey truly begins.
With Peter’s question events are set in motion that will involve others in his quest, a quest that will lead others to their own desired wishes. A beautifully written story that captures the imagination of the heart. Peter’s intense belief that his sister is still alive and his journey to find the answers, against all the possibilities of finding an elephant is the heart of this story. Very atmospheric storytelling, this is DiCamillo at her best.
Publisher: Candlewick (September 2009)
Available as an eBook
Image from www.goodreads.com
FTC Full Disclosure: I received my review copy from the local library.
- Action-packed Fantasy (with a bit of history and mythology, too)
- Everything Is Not What It Seems
- “If you had one day left to live, what would you do?”
- Cinderella is an Assasin
- “I knew there was something peculiar about you…”
- History Turns Into Itself in This Newbery Winner
- A Beautiful & Authentic Midwestern Picture Book
- Let’s Go to the Mall!
- A Healer Wants To Be A Fighter In This Fantasy-Adventure World
- What If Your Mind & Body Were No Longer Your Own?